Sunday, August 5, 2018

Week 18/ Reflecting on changes in my future oriented teaching practice


Using the Gibb’s model of reflection (Finlay, 2008), I will reflect on some of the changes in my teaching practice over the last 18 weeks. I will focus on the subtheme 1: The role of current and emerging technologies (Bolstad et al. 2012).

Through Mind lab, I gained an insight on how fast technology is growing in education. I learnt the need and importance of integrating technology into the classroom and to provide students with the opportunities where they can develop the 21st century skills.
 “If we teach today as we taught yesterday, we rob our children of tomorrow” (John Dewey). Thus changes in technology demand deliberate changes in pedagogy.

The journey in this course so far has brought a change in my mindset and inspired me to explore and experiment some of the learnings over these 18 weeks within my class.

As we don’t have any digital curriculum in our school, at the beginning, it was quiet laborious and overwhelming to plan and link technology within different learning areas. But after successfully embedding technology into my teaching practice, I noticed some positive impacts of it.  Students were highly engaged and motivated to learn. Their understanding of the concept was much better and it was evident from their active participation in discussions. Also collaborating with my mind lab peers and trying something new that they implemented successfully in their classes was helpful to improve my digital practice. Sahin (2011) notes that teachers have a responsibility to their 21st century learners to integrate technology into the classroom. It can be time consuming and daunting but in the end, technology in education can open doors to new discoveries, new experiences and new ways of learning and collaborating.

  


Through Mind lab, I got the courage to challenge myself and use digital tools in my teaching practice to make teaching and learning more fun and effective. Altogether, I see that now I have become a lot more confident and proficient in my abilities to use technology in my class than ever before. According to Noel Bitner and Joe Bitner (2002) “Teachers must learn to use technology and must allow it to change their present teaching paradigm.”

The way the technology is evolving in today’s world, classroom  practices should "keep  pace  with  the  world  outside"( Cain ,2004).
Also in order to prepare our learners for future to cope with the changes brought by emerging technology, it’s important that our students learn to search and discover knowledge, actively communicate with others, and solve problems so that they can become productive life-long members of our society. Bray , Brown and Green (2004 ) suggested that ,ICT has the potential to enhance creativity, facilitate learning, and encourage exploration and independent learning.

Reflecting on my current digital practice, I have to think about not making technology as the focus of my class and neither as a barrier, but use it in a more holistic way.
I need to look at not using technology as a supplement thing but using it to support more creative and inquiry based learning. I also need to use technology with a constructive mindset as it encourages teachers to use technology to “expand classroom boundaries, connect students to real-world events, and guide students to become independent learners” (Teo, 2009a, p. 7) through active and cognitive learning.


References:

Bitner, N. & Bitner, J. (2002). Integrating Technology into the Classroom: Eight Keys to Success. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 10(1), 95-100. Norfolk, VA: Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education. 

Bolstad, R., Gilbert, J., McDowall, S., Bull, A., Boyd, S., & Hipkins, R. (2012). Supporting future-oriented learning and teaching — a New Zealand perspective. Report prepared for the Ministry of Education. Retrieved from https://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/publications/schooling/109306

Bray, M., Brown, M.,& Green, T. (2004). Technology and the diverse learner: A guide to classroom practice
. Thousand Oaks, California: Corwin Press.

Cain, T. (2004). Theory, technology and the music curriculum. British Journal of Music Education, 21(2), 215-221

Sahin, I. (2011). Development of survey of technological pedagogical and content knowledge (TPACK). Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 10(1), 97-105.

Teo, T. (2009a). Examining the relationship between student teachers' self-efficacy beliefs and their intended uses of technology for teaching: A structural equation modelling approach. Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology. 8(4), 7- 15.

























6 comments:

  1. Hi Gurpreet, it is definitely tough to try and implement a digitally sound pedagogy without the right tools. Zucker (2008) supports not only the use, but importance of technology in the classroom, even with younger students. He believes that technology will play a central role in achieving educational goals for students, and will be an essential part of schooling for all.
    As you continue to grow in your journey of learning to use digital tools in the classroom, I believe that you will move beyond using a tool for a certain subject to the tools being an authentic and crucial part of your program, in the holistic way that you’ve mentioned.
    Renski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zucker, A. A. (2008). Transforming schools with technology: How smart use of digital tools helps achieve six key education goals. Harvard Education Press.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gurpreet, I have enjoyed reading your reflection. You have brought up many points of changes and the impact it has made in your practice. I like the way you have quotes that supported your thoughts and evidence. I totally agree that education is fast and growing in education. You mention a great point of the focus on technology in your class and using it as a holistic way. Great reflection you pointed out, 'the need and importance of integrating technology into the classroom and to provide students with the opportunities where they can develop the 21st century skills.' “If we teach today as we taught yesterday, we rob our children of tomorrow” (John Dewey). Small and simple steps to work towards, for you and us all. This is will a great journey for you to use digital tools in your classroom.
    A well written reflection Gurpreet.
    Thanks for posting. Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gurpreet, Your reflective writing is very interesting to read and you are reminding me of the first thought that came to mind when I had the devices. It really challenges me to be more vigilant in ensuring the tools are used in ways that my class can be fully engaged, motivated and on task but not just using technological tools to keep them busy but for meaningful learning. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Hi Gurpreet, I enjoyed your John Dewey quote. He was a true visionary. I can see how technology helps to engage and motivate our learners. It is vital as stated by ( Cain ,2004). That classrooms and schools have up to date technology that is inline with technology in the outside world. Keeping current with technology, and research is way forward for us in as lifelong 21st Century learners.

    ReplyDelete

Digital Fluency Intensive, Cohort 1, 2021

 Day 9- External recognition Today is the last day of our DFI session. It has been an amazing 9 weeks journey despite of sometimes feeling o...